Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why Charlize Theron Is Not Marrying Anytime Soon


South African-born actress Charlize Theron calls US marriage laws “a form of apartheid”. The Oscar winner and Dior model said,

I don’t like living in an elitist world, it bothers me. I don’t want to be part of an elitist sexual preference. Maybe it’s because I come from a country where I lived under apartheid. This is a form of apartheid and I don’t want to be a part of that.

Theron was referring to the “Grand Apartheid” laws in her native country, which segregated whites and non-whites. The laws prevented non-whites from marrying whites or holding white jobs. Harsh criminal penalties were imposed on civil protestors of the apartheid laws, with thousands of people tortured, sentenced to death, or banished. The most famous face of apartheid is Nelson Mandela, who received a life sentence for treason but was finally freed in 1990, and went on to win a Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.

Theron has been dating super-hot boyfriend Stuart Townsend for years, and the couple have said in the past that they refused to get married until same-sex marriage was legal in the United States.

‘It’s not the reason I’m not getting married but it’s maybe a part of it,” Theron said. “My ability to get married is a piece of me that I wish I could give to somebody who it would mean so much to. We should all have the chance. It’s just so caveman, I can’t believe we’re still talking about it.’


Source

No comments: