Thursday, July 17, 2008

One Of The Greatest American Actress Speaks


Meryl Streep once had to sleep rough in London.

Before she made it big in Hollywood, the 59-year-old actress spent the night in Green Park because she couldn't afford to stay in a hotel or hostel.

Meryl, who was 20 at the time, said: "On my very, very first trip to London I went around busking to earn a few pennies to afford some food and overnight accommodation. One night, when I hadn't made enough, I actually slept in the open in Green Park under a tree."

Meryl insists the grounding experience made her determined to make a success of her career.

She added to Closer magazine: "The view from the park was of the Ritz hotel, and I vowed to myself that night that I was going to stay there one day ? and I have."

Meryl - who is often referred to as the finest actress of her generation - also says she remains down-to-earth by doing her own chores.

She explained: "You can't possibly get spoiled if you do your own ironing and get the station wagon out to go into town to get the weekly groceries."


Female First

No comments: